Yield: Makes about 6 dozen cornbread sticks
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a large 7-stick corn stick pan with flavorless vegetable oil or grease lightly. Put the pan in the oven so that’s hot when needed.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the buttermilk, eggs, and egg whites. Pour into the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Do not overmix.
- Pour or spoon about 1 tablespoon of the batter into the hot corn stick pan, filling each mold until nearly full. Bake for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick or the tip of a small knife comes out clean and the corn sticks are lightly browned.
- Let the sticks cool in the pan set on a wire rack for about 10 minutes. Remove the sticks and let them cool completely before serving.
- Makes about 6 dozen cornbread sticks
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 2 to 3 large egg whites (about 1/3 cup)