Samuel Adams® “Steak and Eggs”
Yield: Serves 4
- To make the mustard: Whisk together the mustard and tarragon and set aside.
- To make the zucchini chips: Pour enough oil into a deep, heavy pan to reach a depth of 3 inches. Heat the oil over medium-high heat until a deep-fat thermometer registers 350°F.
- Spread the flour in a shallow bowl and toss the zucchini slices in the flour to coat on sides. You may have to do this in several batches.
- Using tongs or a long-handled slotted spoon, submerge some of the coated zucchini in the hot oil and let them fry for about 1 minute or until golden brown and crispy. Do not crowd the pan; you will need to fry the chips in batches. Lift the chips from the oil and drain on paper towels. Season with salt while still warm. Repeat with the remaining chips.
- To cook the steaks: Sprinkle the steaks on both sides with the grains of paradise or cracked black pepper. Use enough to cover both sides fairly generously.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a sauté pan and heat over medium-high heat. Cook 2 of the steaks for about 3 minutes on each side for medium-rare. Remove from the pan, add more oil if needed, and cook the remaining 2 steaks. Set aside to rest while you cook the eggs.
- To make the scramble: Crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk them with the with the heavy cream.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the butter over high heat and when it melts, add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes or until they begin to soften and release their juices. Add the shallots and the tomatoes, reduce the heat to medium and cook for about 1 minute longer, stirring the mix well.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly to ensure even cooking. Season the eggs with salt and pepper.
- Divide the eggs among 4 serving plates, put a steak on each plate and some zucchini chips. Garnish the eggs with chives and serve with the mustard on the side.
- Serves 4
- Tarragon mustard:
- 1 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- Zucchini chips:
- Canola or other vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large zucchini, thinly sliced into discs
- Kosher salt
- 4 Boston Lagers or strip steaks (about 6 ounces each)
- Crushed grains of paradise or cracked black pepper, see Note [x-ref back to Arugula and Watercress salad]
- 2 to 3 tablespoons canola oil
- Wild mushroom scramble:
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped portobello mushrooms (about 1 ½ ounces)
- 1/2 cup chopped shiitake mushrooms (about 1 ½ ounces)
- 1/2 cup chopped chanterelle mushrooms (about 1 ½ ounces)
- 2 tablespoons finely diced shallot