Sea Urchin Risotto with Laughing Bird Shrimp
Yield: Serves 4
- To make the risotto: In a large saucepan, heat the chicken stock over medium-high heat. When it boils, reduce the heat and simmer gently.
- In a medium-sized pot, heat the oil over medium heat and when hot, cook shallots and garlic for about 3 minutes or until the shallots are translucent. Take care the garlic does not burn. Stir in the rice and thyme and cook for about 1 minute, stirring the rice so that it mixes with the shallots, garlic and thyme.
- Add the hot chicken stock, 1 ladleful (about 1/2 cup) at a time, stirring constantly until it is absorbed by the rice. At this point, add another ladleful of chicken stock, stirring the rice until it absorbs the liquid. Repeat, stirring all the while, until all the liquid is absorbed and the risotto is smooth and creamy but the grains of rice still have a little bite. You might not need all the stock, or you might need a little more, depending on the type of rice you use.
- About 10 minutes before the rice is done, stir in the shrimp, sea urchin and cheese. Cook for about 5 minutes longer or until the shrimp is partially cooked. Add the butter, stir well and continue cooking until the risotto is done and shrimp are cooked through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove the risotto from the heat and stir in the crème frâiche and chives. Cover to keep warm.
- In a dry saucepan, toast the caraway seeds over medium-high heat for 40 to 60 seconds or until they are fragrant. Add the beer and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer the beer for about 20 minutes or until reduced to a thick, syrupy consistency. Stir in the milk and when heated through, add the butter, salt, pepper, and soy lecithin. Using an immersion blender, blend the mixture to create air bubbles.
- Divide the risotto among 4 shallow bowls or plates. Reheat it first, if necessary.
- Skim the bubbles off the surface of the foam and spoon them over the risotto and serve.
- Serves 4
- 2 1/2 quarts chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 shallots, diced small
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups Arborio or another risotto rice
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 20 Laughing Bird shrimp or other large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 8 sea urchin tongues
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons whipped crème frâiche
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh chives
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seed
- 12 ounces (1 1/2 cups) Samuel Adams Imperial White beer
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon soy lecithin