Shrimp and Avocado Jambalaya Salad
Yield: Serves 4
- In a mixing bowl, cover the beans with the beer and 1/2 cup of water. Let them soak at room temperature for at least 6 hours or up to overnight. Drain.
- In a large saucepan, cook the bacon over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until it starts to release its fat. Add the onion and cook, stirring for about 2 minutes or until the onions soften.
- Add the drained beans and enough cold water to cover by about 1 inch. Bring the water to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour until the beans are soft. Adjust the heat to maintain the simmer and add more water as needed to keep the beans covered. Drain the beans, return them to the pot, and cover to keep warm.
- In another saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat and when hot, sear the shrimp for about 3 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Spill the oil from the pan and add the barbecue sauce. Turn the shrimp in the pan to coat with the barbecue sauce.
- In a serving bowl, mix together the avocado, red onion, cilantro, and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the shrimp and then spoon the mixture over the black beans. Serve right away.
- Serves 4
- 1 cup black beans
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) Samuel Adams Boston Lager
- 2 tablespoons diced bacon
- 2 tablespoons diced onion
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 to 10 jumbo shrimp
- 1/2 cup storebought barbecue sauce
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper