German Sweet Chocolate Bock Cake
Yield: Makes 1 8" 3 layer cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously butter (3) 8 inch spring form pans and dust with cocoa powder. In medium bowl blend flour, soda and salt thoroughly; set aside. Melt chocolate slowly in a microwave oven, stirring gently. Set aside to cool. Beat butter and 1 1/2 cups of sugar until very light and fluffy. Beat in yolks, one at a time. Beat in vanilla and stir in melted chocolate, beer, and buttermilk. Mix in 1/2 cup sugar and cream of tartar, stirring thoroughly.
- In a deep bowl, whip egg whites until frothy. Continue beating and slowly add sugar until stiff peaks form. Combine cake flour mixture alternately by thirds with buttermilk mixture, beating well after each addition. Repeat until completely combined. Carefully fold in on forth of the beaten egg whites, lightening the batter. Gently fold in remaining whites. Divide batter between the 3 pans and smooth tops with a spatula.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until a pick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow cakes to cool 10 minutes in the pan before removing. Makes 1 8" 3 layer cake.
- Ingredients 3 – 8 inch spring form pans
- 1 tsp. baking soda, sifted
- 6 ozs. sweet, semisweet or extra-bitter chocolate
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 2 ½ cups cake flour, sifted
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 4 extra large egg yokes
- ½ cup Samuel Adams® Double Bock or Chocolate Bock
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 extra large egg whites, room temperature